Wednesday, September 14, 2011

my grand adventure

How to begin. Hm, well I guess to start, I should give you a few facts about myself. My name is Caitlin, I am from a wonderful family of five older sisters and one younger brother, and my mother is British (I think that's the coolest thing about myself, maybe that's pathetic. Eh.). I am in love with the Lord Jesus and I am know I am only redeemed through Him. My goal in life is to fall more in love with Him. As my church's missions statement says: love God. Love each other. Love our world. I daily try to live that.
Well, I thought that mission would be easy in my hometown: Cary, North Carolina, but that is not what the Lord has ordained for my life. I am taking a gap year in between high school and college. I leave for La Ceiba, Honduras this Friday, as in two days from now. Panic. I will be living there for 7 months. There, I will be working in a boy's orphanage Monday-Friday. It is a Christian home run by an american man and his Honduran wife. I'll be living with a family friend, Shannon, who happens to live in the same city (completely unexpected, God's cool). I am so excited to see what the Lord is going to do and also scared out of my mind. Sheesh. I think people have the idea that missionaries have super strength and zero fear. Well, not this missionary. But, I know the Lord is good and strong, so I have no need to rely on myself.

Things I am concerned about: that five years of Spanish will have no impact in my ability to speak, that Honduras will only sell Pepsi products, that I might be five feet taller than the average Honduran, and that I'll miss my family too much. These things keep me up at night, folks.
Also, you should know for future reference that I refer to Honduras as hondy or Hondyland. So, get ready for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment