Friday, March 2, 2012

beep beep gringo!

My roommate Kate and I have made a game of sorts for ourselves. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Jeffrey, Kevin, and Ever (the kids from our house) have a game called "beep beep Colombia". Whenever they prank someone, the say that phrase. For instance, Kevin will look at me and tell me there is a mosquito on my forehead. So, I'll hit my forehead that does not in act have a mosquito whilst he screams "beep beep Colombia"! Turns out, that is not a Honduran child's game, it's a Jeffrey,Kevin, Ever game. Learned that the embarrassing way one day at NiƱos.
Now, to continue, there are lots of gringos (Americans) here in La Ceibz. Especially since it's spring break/summer, aka short term mission team season. And, clearly, my 5'9" self and my blonde 5'10" roommate do NOT count as gringos. Don't be ridiculous. So, since we aren't gringos, we love to point them out around the city. But the hum and drum of always pointing and saying, "hey look, an American!" became dull. So, now, eveytime we see them, we scream "beep beep gringo!" and the other party has to search for the white faces with matching tshirts. It's quite fun. I have a feeling that come may, when I return to los estados, I might win.

No comments:

Post a Comment