Saturday, March 3, 2012

dinnertime

The Carolina v. Dook game was tonight. In case you were wondering, Carolna swept the floor with them. I don't care that I am going to State next year, I will always be a Carolina basketball fan, sue me. Suit me? Spelling, so difficult.

Anyways, so I wanted to watch the game, but surprisingly the rivalry doesn't hold the same weight here in La Ceiba. My one hope was going to Expatriates, a bar and grill, that is owned by an American and he normally plays American games. So, off Shannon and I went to said location. Well, turns out it wasn't on any of the channels. We only have Espn in espaƱol that plays soccer all day everyday. Bums. The owner came to apologize and we all talked for a while about it. Well, a gringo at the table beside us joined in and long story short, he ended up eating dinner with us. And then another gringo joined midway through and we all had a jolly good time.

But, the thing is: it wasn't really that weird. I mean, imagine being in the states at a restaurant. Would you ever end up joining tables with the one beside you? I mean, I would never ever. But, I only thought that about 3/4 of the way into dinner and I never once felt awkward. And I love that! I love the community that travellers build together and just community in general that you can find so easily outside of the states. It's so cool to hear the stories of people around you and how they got to Honduras. Love it. Maybe next time im at the olive garden or something, I'll snuggle up to the table beside me and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment