Sunday, March 11, 2012

glory to god

I've been thinking about a lot of general things about missions today. It all started when I realized how grateful I am for my family and the way they love the Lord. My parents are such great examples of what it looks like to trust your whole life to Christ. They're not perfect, no one is. But, I can't remember a time in my life where I ever questioned their love for the Lord and their love for me. That is so incredibly rare. But the reason I am grateful for them today is because they love the Lord more than me. They haven't put me on a pedastool this year and praised me for going to a different country, they have praised the Lord who lives in me. They have thanked him for his goodness and guidance. And so have my siblings.

I think it's so easy to forget that missionaries are nothing special. We have no special abilities or strengths that have made us more capable than others. I am a shy girl, I love the Lord, I am not fluent in Spanish, I hate meeting new people, and I am 19. What part of that makes me able to live in Honduras for this year? The Lord. Every other part is shouting "don't go!" and yet, the Lord has called me to this place. Although I have the stubborn, defiant Keegan gene, Jesus quieted my heart long enough for me to agree to go. And since being here, He has confirmed more and more that it is not me doing good works here, but Christ in me. I fail in the language, I don't have any idea how to teach a special needs child to speak, I don't like putting myself out there. And yet, I find myself doing things daily that involve all of these things. And, sometimes I succeed at a task. And those days, I have to remind myself that Jesus is to be glorified. Because if I was to leave tomorrow, the Lords name would still be glorified here.

And so, I am so thankful for my family and their ability to understand that. Because I think if they didn't praise Jesus over me, my heart would be filled with selfish pride. Turns out, God knew what he was doing when he made me a Keegan.

" The LORD is exalted, for he dwells on high; he will fill Zion with justice and righteousness,
and he will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is Zion's treasure."
Isaiah 33:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment