Monday, March 19, 2012

go ahead, give me a kiss

I remember in my sophomore year of high school, an Austrian told me that Americans are way too affectionate. We say we love you to anyone we've known longer than a week, we give big hugs, we smile lovingly. At the time, I loved this because let's be honest, you always want to think that your culture is the best so any compliment solidifies your inner thoughts. But, let me tell you, Latinos put us to shame.

The way to greet someone here is to give them a kiss on the cheek. Strangers, friends, family alike, you see someone at church, grocery store, or at your house, you greet them immediately with a kiss. Just lean in, gently place your hand on their elbow, and do a little air kiss. Or, if a pro, you merely stick your head out (picture a turtle coming out of his shell), cock your head to the left, and pucker up. And let me just tell you, I love dem kisses. I'm not even a physical touch person. I know, whatta freak. It's just that, people act like height is not a significant factor that plays into hugs and it is! There are only certain heighted (not a word, but I made it one) peope that I permit to hug me consistently.

But I digress. I love the kisses. Nope, I lerf them. Which is stronger than love. Plus theyre great ice breakers because if you are comfortable enough to kiss someone's cheek and hold their elbow, you're confident enough to say your name. Kisses are the best way of life and I will stop at nothing to make them popular in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment