Saturday, November 12, 2011

itsokayitsokayitsokay

There is this boy I have fallen in love with. His name is Enrique. No, his surname is not Iglesias. He is an 11 year old boy who lives in the orphanage I work in. He and I have become besties. He always gives me the best hugs, asks me to play with him, and only lets me tutor him on his homework. Seriously, I think I want to adopt him as my own. Sorry, NC State, make room for one more in the ol' dorm room.
He does have one flaw that has almost been fatal. Here is the thing about kids: they absorb everything they watch on TV. For Honduran kids, that means they absorb the weirdest or most annoying English phrases and cling onto them for dear life. One kid, Michael, every time he sees me says "Hello, baby. I love you, baby. What's your problem, man?" Another, Edgar, says "I've had the time of my life and I owe it all to you-you-you...dirty bit". Yet Another, Cesar, says "whitowski"...still trying to figure this one out. He says it is Chinese for "pregnant woman". I find that hard to believe.
Enrique says "its okay its okay its okay its okay its okay" in a rapid pace. Messes up on homework? Its okay its okay its okay its okay. Wins a game of ping pong? its okay its okay its okay its okay its okay. Sitting down to lunch? Its okay its okay its okay its okay its okay.

It has almost ruined our friendship. I think he has started to notice that when he says it though, my tears are real. We are working through this difficulty. Im loving him through it while wrestling him to the ground and tickling him till he screams every time he says it. The kids gotta learn some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment