Saturday, November 12, 2011

cayos cochinos: dankest.

Alright, so here we go with a long chain of blog posts that I should have written a while ago, but haven't had time. Slash, that's kind of a lie. I have had time, but the fact of the matter is that I didn't do it because I knew I would be in an airport by myself for two hours with nothing to do today. So here I am, in the airport. Watching a cat walk around the dining area. Day in a life, my friends.
I went to Cayos Cochinos this weekend. Some of you are asking yourselves: what is that place? And some of you are pretending to know. Well, to all of you I say: Cayos Cochinos is a chain of very small islands about an hour's boat drive away from La Ceiba. It has crystal clear water, beautiful straw huts, it's own language, and part of the second largest coral reef in the world. I truly think that my corner of heaven will have these things: Jesus, Dunkin Doughnuts, Pizza Hut Honduras, and Cayos Cochinos. Oh, also Pooh Bear. Sorry that I momentarily forgot you, pooh.
Anyways, I went there with my peeps, Amanda, Sarah, and a new volunteer I met named Bridey. We spent the day snorkeling, holding boa constrictors, and eating whole fish. It was the most fun. Literally though, whole fish. I had to pick around the bones. Which I thought I would hate, but since they caught the fish two hours before I ate it, it was the most divine thing I ever did taste. But, the main part I want you kiddos to know about the trip is a a guy called Josue.
Josue came with us to Cayos through a tourist company. None of us knew him, but oh we got to know him. First of all, he told us he only knew a litle bit of English, but then proceeded to join in on every conversation we had in English, perfectly. Then he was THAT snorkeler. You know the one who doesn't know how to breath properly or direct himself with his flippers. We spent the majority of the day making sure his breathing rhythm wasn't due to a heart attack, telling him to stop standing ON THE REEF, and trying to get him to stop kicking us in the face with his dang flippers. Needless to say, Josue unknowingly gave us some precious memories that I will laugh about for a long time to come.

1 comment: