Saturday, October 15, 2011

like white paper

Shannon and her family are leaving the country tomorrow. Shannon is going to Peru on a business trip for the week and her family is returning to the states. I think Shannon is more concerned about me eating while she is gone than leaving the country. so what if i eat cereal all week because it's the only thing i know how to make? whater. In honor of the Innes family's departures though, we took some of the boys (Jeffrey, Kevin, Ever, Jose, Cristopher, and Jeffrey's brother Guillermo) that come to our house to the river. There are many rivers in this city so I guess I should explain myself. There is a little watering hole with mini waterfalls and such about ten minutes from our house. All you have to do is pay about a dollar to go in for as long as you'd like. Yes, I think of Lion King whenever I say watering hole, but it's just what it is.
It was such a fun time though. The boys were so cute and excited and I just felt such a sense of family with them. It amazes me daily that I feel so close to them and love them so much despite our differences in culture, language, and pretty much anything else you can think of. I thank God for that blessing though, on a daily basis. Those boys truly are my family.
Few funny things that happened. The water was ICE cold. seriously, so cold and it felt even colder because when you feel like your in an oven day in and day out, you don't expect any type of relief. However, as soon as the tip of my pinky toe hit the water, the boys started splashing me till I was soaked to the core. All the while shouting, "TIENE MIEDO! TIENE MIEDO!" which essentially means scaredycat. The were loving it.
We also were able to jump off one of the waterfallish things into the river. So exhilarating and terrifying at the same time. The boys switched from calling me scaredycat to telling me to be careful because I was sure to fall and hurt myself.
The highlight for me though was lunchtime. We were all sitting on the rocks eating PB&J. I had little Ever on my lap and Shannon and her brother, Xan, were eating while sitting in the water. All of the sudden though, I heard little giggles and whispers from all the boys around me. Then i heard one of them say, "like white paper" under their breath. That's when it clicked for me. In the water, Xan was completely submerged and because he is pale and under the water, he was practically glowing. The boys thought this was the funniest thing and wouldn't stop laughing. Once they saw that I understood, they would giggle and say "Cait, he's like white paper. Like a big piece of white paper!"
How easy it is to entertain young boys, no matter what country they are from.

No comments:

Post a Comment