Wednesday, December 7, 2011

repetitive and redundant

I write this knowing that I am being repetitive and redundant. But seriously y'all, North Carolinians are evvveerrryyywwhheerreee. I can be confident that whenever I say I am from NC, the person I am talking to will have some connection there. Here is a conversation from the bus ride to Antigua (all in English, except when I responded in Spanish, which sometimes I do on accident):
Male(age 24, kinda rocking a mullet, looks European): You visting Antigua also?
Me: Si. y tu?
Male: Yes. You're from here?
Me: Honduras? kind of, I live in La ceiba, but I am from the States. you?
Male: I've lived here 2 years. But I am not from here.
Me: Oh, where are you from.
Male: North Carolina.

At first, I was hesitant. He didn't have the appearance of a North Carolinian and then we had this convo:

Male: man, I miss American food.
Me: oof, sames. LIke a little bit of taco bell, or bojangles, or chickfila.
Male: or cookout (at thi point, i think there might have been tears on my face) Hah, I just hit the North Carolinian weak spot. What's your flavor?
Me: Orange push pop. duh. You?
Male: Cheerwine milkshake.

Oh me of little faith, I shouldve never doubted his affections for my dear state. the place I call my home. I love running into fellow NC-ers, we speak our own heart language.

No comments:

Post a Comment